TIME LINE OF PARISH
The first school that served
the town of Parish was located in the southwest corner of the town of
Mexico. Students from Parish, Hastings and Mexico attended this
The first school in the
village of Parish was located where the Mills and Petrie Memorial Gymnasium
is today. It is believed to have been a log cabin. It was built
in 1808 at a cost of $15.00. Samuel Phileo was the first teacher.
1814: The town was divided into districts, of
which Parish was number 1. Eventually 13 districts were formed:
#1 Parish, #2 Fritts, #3 Churchill, #4 Searles, #5 Bidwell, #6 Laing, #7
Getman, #8 Jennings, #9 Old Dutch Hill, #10 Devendorf, #11 Miller, #12 Red
Mills, #13 New Dutch Hill.
1816: The log cabin was torn down and
replaced by a frame house that served as a school building.
1878: At the annual meeting Edwin Palmer
was elected the sole trustee. Several meetings had been held to
discuss a new school. Mr. Palmer was instrumental in having the Parish
Union Free School built.
Four educators taught at this
school each receiving a salary of $350. Two teachers instructed the
primary grades, and the other two taught the high school grades. The
building consisted of four rooms and a hall. Farmers took turns in
drawing wood to heat the building.
1883: The school was organized as a Union
Free School and Academy. A board of education was elected consisting
of five members: James Luddington, C.S. Talcott, Hosea Pickens, H. A.
Mosher, and Edwin Palmer.
“The first transportation began bringing students
to Parish with horses. Ad Murphy had a contract for some time.
In the winter he had a sleigh with a cover like a prairie schooner.
The boys would tease and not get in when they should. He would take
his lash whip out and they would dive in the back entrance. Usually
the last one in would get a crack with the whip.”
Robert J. Harter
1898: The school is changed to a high
school under the laws of the Board of Regents of New York State.
1928: The modern village school was
dedicated. This was a very modern building for that time. It
included a gymnasium in the basement, well equipped laboratories and
classrooms and a ventilating system.
1917-1942: Altmar and Parish were
separated school districts.
July 1, 1942: Altmar and Parish
centralized to form District #2.
October 12, 1943: Union Free School
District #4 located in the Towns of Albion and Orwell, and Districts #1 of
Parish, Hastings and Mexico were combined with Altmar-Parish Consolidated
School District #2.
August 9, 1944: District #6 of the town
of Amboy and Williamstown were combined with Altmar-Parish Consolidated
School District #2.
May 8, 1945: Land lying east of County
Route 11 was accepted into the Altmar-Parish Consolidated School District
October 26, 1945: Common School District
#7 in Parish dissolved.
May 25, 1950: The Searles District #4,
Town of Parish dissolved.
1952: The Altmar-Parish District
discussed the idea of building a Junior-Senior High School.
July 13, 1954: The Board accepted
Williamstown, called District #4 upon the Commissioner of Education’s
approval to dissolve and annex territory to the Altmar-Parish School.
April 26, 1955: The Board received a
petition from Parish residents requesting an addition be added to the Parish
May 10, 1955: A committee was formed made
of representatives from Altmar, Parish and Williamstown, to investigate a
site for a new Junior-Senior High School.
June 27, 1955: The Altmar-Parish Board
passed a resolution to change its name to Altmar-Parish-Williamstown Central
School District effective July 1, 1955.
March 9, 1956: A special meeting of the
Board was held to discuss plans and specifications for a new building to be
presented to the Board of Regents on March 13, 1956.
April 1, 1956: The Board passed a
resolution to acquire additional land at the present site for an elementary
school in Williamstown. The Board also passed a resolution to approve
plans and specs for the proposed construction projects for a sum of
May 15, 1956: The Board passed a
resolution to adjust the building project to a sum of $1,706,000.00 and that
a special district meeting be held on June 9, 1956 for the purpose of voting
to acquire land for the new Junior-Senior High School. It was 29.8
acres at a cost of $9,500 on County Route 22. They also voted addition
for the Altmar and Parish Schools for use as K-6 schools and purchase
additional property to the site at the existing Williamstown School.
The vote was defeated in June, 1956.
August 21, 1956: Resolution passed by
Board to have grades; 9-12 of the APW district be held in Altmar during
school year 1956-1957 and students in grades 7-8 attend school in Parish.
March 25, 1958: Board passed a resolution
to hold a vote for construction of a new Jr./Sr. High School on land already
owned by the district for a sum of $1,098, 800.00. The vote was passed
on May 10, 1958.
June 1960: First graduating class from
“I started school in 1961.
Our classes were held at the Masonic Temple while the elementary school
addition in the village was being built.”
Between July 1, 1942 and
March 1960 gradually the one room school houses throughout the district were
dissolved and declared closed.
1968: An addition was added to the
Jr./Sr. High School.
November 13, 1985: An advisory referendum
was held in the Mexico and APW School Districts and both schools defeated
the idea of the two schools merging.
June 17, 1986: Residents of APW School
District approve the construction of new middle school and renovations to
the existing schools in the district.
September 6, 1989: Students in grades 6-8
attended their first day of school in their own building and students in
grade 9-12 attended their first day in the newly renovated Jr./Sr. High
School; the elementary students in the newly renovated schools.
As of 1999
five school buildings exist in the district.